The heritage of the Edstein name in Australia dates back to 9th March 1855 when Joseph and Christina Edstein arrived in Australia from Erbach on the Rhine in the Dutchy of Nassau, Germany. Josephs grandson, Joseph John was born in 1866. JJ began his stonemason apprenticeship at Maitland in 1880. He later moved to Sydney, then to Melbourne as foreman mason on the Princes Street Bridge. In 1896 Joseph John Edstein (JJ Edstein) commenced his own stone masonry business in Raymond Terrace, expanding to Taree in 1908 purchasing land in Manning Street for 150 pounds. The site in Manning Street is the current site of IGA Supermarket. Joseph's youngest son James moved to Taree in 1925 to manage the Taree business. In 1932 James (known as Jim) married Mary Lily Irvine and moved to their new home at 298 Victoria Street. Jim was very civic minded and served on the Taree Municipal Council for 18 years, was delegate to the Manning River County Council and worked to have the present Taree Airport established. Jim passed away in 1974 and Lil in 1990.
During the mid 1970's the Edstein Family decided to sell the business to a local investor with John Edstein remaining on as the manager. The business continued in Monumental Masonry with little changing for the next 15 or so years. It was during this time that the expansion into Granite Benchtops occurred but due to the fledgling industry, diversity in colours and the high costs there was little growth in this area. In the early 1990's the business was bought and sold a number of times with the final sale in this period taking place in late 1995. This marked an important era in the Edstein company with a name change from J.J.Edstein & Sons to Edstein Creative Stone which was seen to be a modern, more encompassing name for the change in direction the company was embarking on. Heavy investment in technology saw huge growth in the Kitchen Benchtop division as well as expansion into the Hunter Valley with a sales outlet being established in 1998 at Sandgate. This ownership group remained in place until 2006 when the business was again sold to an consortium who failed in 2008. A redevelopment in 2007 of the Sandgate Showroom in Newcastle bolstered the presence of Edstein Creative Stone in the Hunter Valley as a selection centre utilised by all sections of the building industry. The current owners purchased the business in March 2008. The traditional Monumental market continues to be a key part of the Edstein Creative Stone business, forming 25% of the company turnover annually. In June 2010 the monumental business was bolstered with the acquisition of E.McMurtrie and Sons at Point Clare on the Central Coast. Since acquiring McMurties we have re built the showroom and added a kitchen benchtop display thus opening up the Central Coast market to Edstein Creative Stone. Further expansion into this market is underway with the addition of a new workshop & warehouse and supporting staff to accommodate faster service and delivery of product to market. In 2015 the company underwent a minor rebrand to encompass new products in the market. Newly name Edstein Creative Pty Ltd launched into glass splashbacks, providing the option to have your stone benchtop and glass splashback installed on the same day. Further expansion is planned on the state of the art factory facility in Taree for 2016 which will allow exploration of new markets and further development of the current markets.