Edstein Creative Stone commenced the Sustainability Advantage Program with the State Governments DECC-W sector in May 2009. The company was awarded Bronze Status in June 2010 as recognition for the organisation demonstrating commitment to business sustainability. In 2011 the company reached Silver Status and today continues to strive towards the goal of becoming a Gold Partner in the scheme. Sustainable development aims to meet human needs in the present while preserving the environment so that these needs can also be met in the indefinite future. Edstein Creative stone continually focuses development within the business on sustainable practices and 2012 the largest venture in the company history is being embarked upon. The production facility is currently undergoing an upgrade of equipment that will be completed in late 2012. The upgrade will see the introduction of a world first German automated sawing line and new polishing machine along with numerous other layout changes including a 200m2 extension to the storage facility. The investment is close to $1 Million dollars and will yield a 19% reduction in energy usage per unit of production along with an increase in productivity. These changes follow on from a number of implemented improvements from a previous energy audit which have yielded savings over 25% in 3 years whilst still increasing output. 2013 saw the next phase of Sustainability with a test case for delivery of Lean Manufacturing for business by the NSW Department of Environment and Heritage with Edstein Creative Stone. The Lean program was delivered on site and has enabled the business to focus attention on not so evident wastes such as time and effort. The program has achieved some significant outcomes with reductions in rework, shop floor re organisation and productivity gains all showing the great success of the program.
Edstein Creative Stone implements environmental sustainability programs and actions to:
- Water recycling and rainwater harvesting resulting in 96% reduction in water consumption from main supply
- Energy saving actions resulting in 48% reduction in per unit of production manufacturing in 5 years.
- Increase the use of renewable resources
- Recycling of stone waste products preventing over 460 tonne going to landfill and being re-used as decorative aggregate in a range of concrete products
- Recycling all cardboard, paper and plastic waste increasing recycling by 33%
- Instrumental in establishing the Manning Valley Sustainability Advantage Cluster of like-minded businesses
- Introduction of Lean Manufacturing has reduced overall rework by 20% and as much as 80% in one targeted area. Productivity at its highest level within the last 5 years.
These programs aim to strike the balance between benefits for the environment and society and economic costs, helping to move Edstein creative Stone toward a more sustainable future.
Edstein Creative Stone have been recognised for sustainable achievements by receiving the following awards:
- Sustainability Advantage Program
- Bronze Partner 2010
- Silver Partner 2011
- Green Globe Sustainability Awards 2010
- Business Achievement Award
- Prime Regional Achievement Awards 2010
- Achievement in the Peabody Environmental & Landcare Award
- National Save Water Awards 2010
- Winner of the Small Business Category for Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Water Conservation and Efficiency
- United Nations Association Of Australia 2010 World Environment Day Awards
- Winner of the Excellence in Sustainable Water Management Award
- 2011 Manning Valley Business Chamber
- Environmental Business of the Year
- 2013 NSW Business Chamber Mid North Coast Regional Finalist
- Excellence in Sustainability
- Finalist Excellence in Innovation
- 2013 NSW Business Chamber Mid North Coast Regional Winner Excellence in Sustainability
- 2013 NSW Business Chamber State Winner Excellence in Sustainability